Niagara Arts Guild Fall Show Awards! - 2020

 


 

NAG's 72nd annual Fall Art Show, "Pandemic Paintings", opened this week at the History Center of Niagara. 

Our judge this year is the talented Jean Jain, who provided us with this judge's statement along with our list of winners!

 

Niagara Arts Guild Fall Exhibition—Judge’s Statement 

While judging this show, I was looking for creativity, originality and skill in execution of  techniques. I like to see something that strikes me and catches my attention from across the  room. I also like to see pieces that are very sensitive and may require me to take a closer look.  

BEST IN SHOW: The Sky Opened Up by Kimberley Christy. The colors and movement in this  piece immediately spoke to me.  

2nd PLACE: Well Used by Maggie Eaton. This photo caught my attention because of the  composition and the painterly qualities of the shot. 

3rd PLACE: Against all Odds by Brady Zdrojewski. This colored pencil piece touched me because  of the sensitivity of the strokes and the colors used. This piece is a beautiful rendering in  colored pencil. 

Honorable Mention/Merit Awards: 

1. Grand Teton National Park by Rhonda Daigler. This lovely oil caught my eye from across the  room. I love to see a piece that draws one in from afar. The bold colors found in nature are  very beautifully rendered. The lively strokes and movement in the water especially lend credence to the reality of the scene. I can imagine myself there breathing in the fresh air  and savoring the peaceful location. 

2. Saffron Leaves over Green Waters by Manning McCandlish. This watercolor spoke to me because of the composition and balance of colors.

3. Sunset at Market Street by Rebecca Wilson. This watercolor set a wonderful end of the day  mood with the use of colors at dusk.  

 Congratulations to everyone!

There is still a viewers choice award coming later, so get to the Historical Society and vote for your favorite piece!

The History Center of Niagara (215 Niagara Street, Lockport), first floor meeting room 

 

graphic credits: Kyle Lefort Copyright 2020 (Artwork and other items featured belong to Jean Jain and/or guild members, respectively)

Comments

Popular Posts